How to Use Naloxone
To use naloxone nasal spray (Narcan)
- Remove the nasal spray from the box.
- Hold the nasal spray with your thumb on the bottom of the plunger and your first and middle fingers on either side of the nozzle.
- Tilt the person’s head back and provide support under the neck with your hand.
- Gently insert the tip of the nozzle into one nostril, until your fingers on either side of the nozzle are against the bottom of the person’s nose.
- Press the plunger firmly to give the dose of nasal spray. Remove the nasal spray from the nostril after giving the dose.
- Watch the person closely for the next two minutes, if the person does not respond after two minutes administer the second dose of nasal spray in the box using steps 1-5.
To use injection naloxone
- Take cap off of the vial and stick the needle through the rubber stopper.
- Draw the instructed amount of fluid into the needle by pulling back on the plunger. Be sure the syringe fills with liquid — not air.
- Inject the needle straight into the muscle in the shoulder or into the front of the thigh. Push down on the plunger to empty the syringe. It is OK to inject through clothing.
- Watch the person closely for the next 3-5 minutes, if the person does not respond after 3-5 minutes administer the second dose of naloxone in the box using steps 1-3.
Where to find naloxone