Tips for Safer Smoking
Safer smoking kits are widely available from syringe access and other harm reduction programs. These come with pipes, screens, and rubber tips to protect lips from burning.
Clean your hands and pipe with alcohol wipes. Avoid infection by always using your own pipe or mouthpiece – do not share with others. Stay hydrated and use lip balm or a pipe bumper to avoid mouth blisters or sores
If Smoking Crack
- Use a filter. Copper screens are best (e.g. chore boy).
- Brillo has a chemical coating that can make you sick and it can easily break apart and be inhaled, injuring your mouth and throat. If all you have is brillo, burn the chemical coating off before using it and change it out frequently.
- Use 3-5 screens each time. Twist each screen into a cone and insert one at a time into your pipe using a wooden stick. Once the screens are in, use the stick to create a space to place your drugs.
If Smoking Meth
- Place your drugs into your pipe and tap the stem of the pipe to move the drugs into the bowl.
If Smoking Heroin, Fentanyl or Other Opioids
- Use a clean foil (e.g. such as hookah foil) and a new straw each time if possible. Do not share foil and straws.
- Once ready, apply heat, inhale slowly and exhale immediately. Don’t hold it in.
- Avoid infection by always using your own pipe or mouthpiece – do not share with others.